Saturday, October 8, 2011

Temptation...

Today was hard... but I managed to get through it & stay right on points!

First up, we went to a friend's to watch the Texas vs Oklahoma game & an early lunch. On arrival we were offered bagels & bloody marys, and then later were served up BBQ ribs and queso dip with corn chips. Luckily, I had brought over the coleslaw (with healthy yoghurt dressing) that was leftover from our fish tacos last night, so I filled my plate with that, and only had a tiny amount of everything else. Still, it all added up to nearly 9 points!! Plus I'd had my usual oats & coffee for breakfast (5.75pts), and we were going to a 2-year-old's birthday party later in the day!

I knew that they'd be serving tacos & cupcakes at the party, so I looked up in advance their nutritional values, so I could plan accordingly (BTW - this is a fantastic tactic, as you're not left trying to figure out points on the fly and then either overeating and not having enough points left later, or undereating and wishing you'd eaten one of the treats that you resisted).

My plan was to have 1 taco with a single tortilla, not a double (5pts rather than 6) and 1 cupcake with most of the frosting scraped off (~5pts). But I was hungry when we got there (lunch had been early and the zero point carrots & tomatoes I snacked on before the party didn't do much to stave off my pangs!), so ended up eating 2 tacos.

BUT I MANAGED TO RESIST THE CUPCAKE TEMPTATION!! Yes, you read that right... I had 2 tacos, so I DIDN'T eat any cake! I was so proud of myself! Especially when the birthday girl's grandma tried to force me to take some home because there were so many leftover!

We were a little peckish later that evening, so I made a quick frittata (3.5pts) with lots of veges and had some feijoas (1pt) for dessert.

I'm now sitting here watching the rugby world cup with a chai latte (2pts) & banana (1pt). Turns out I probably could have eaten a cupcake today, although I would have used a couple of my "banked" points. However, I'm glad I didn't... we're going to a yum cha brunch tomorrow, so I need to save all the points I can!! Sheesh, weekends are hard when you're counting points!

Coleslaw with Yoghurt Dressing
1 cup low fat, plain yoghurt (3)
1 T light mayonaise (1)
1/2 t dijon mustard (0pts)
salt & pepper to taste (0pts)
16oz package of coleslaw mix (0pts)

Mix dressing ingredients together, then stir into coleslaw.

Recipe is 4 points total. Makes 8 half-cup servings (0.5pts each).

Frittata
4 eggs, lightly beaten (4)
2 oz feta crumbles (3)
vegetables of your choice (I used spinach, onion & tomatoes)
canola spray (0)

Saute vegetables briefly in canola spray in small oven-proof frypan, then spread evenly across pan. Pour eggs over vegetables and sprinkle feta on top. Cook on medium heat until top starts to harden. Remove from heat & place under broiler until cheese is golden.
Recipe is 7 points total. Serves 2 (3.5pts each).

No comments:

Post a Comment