Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 1... it's started!

Woohoo! I made it through Day 1!!

I was totally craving sugary goodness mid-afternoon, but managed to hold out & have an apple instead!! Early in the day, I sat down & worked out the points for a friend's delicious pasta bake with puttanesca sauce I've been wanting to cook for a while... it was 50+ pts!! I tweaked the recipe a little (half the cheese, half the olives, and only 1t oil to sauté the garlic; but otherwise exactly as the original) and got it down to 30 points for an 8x8 baking dish. I thought I'd eat about a quarter of it (8pts), so ate through the day accordingly. But in fact, 1/6 of the dish (5pts) was plenty when served with a bean & corn salad (recipe below). It was delicious, but I'm sure the original is even better with twice the cheese & olives!

Bean & Corn Salad
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed (5 pts)
1 (10oz) package frozen corn kernels, thawed & drained (4pts)
1 red pepper, diced (0pts)
1T olive oil (3pts)
2T red wine or sherry vinegar (0pts)
1/2t dijon mustard (0pts)
salt & pepper to taste (0pts)

Mix corn, beans & pepper together in a bowl. Create vinagrette by whisking together oil, vinegar & mustard. Season to taste then pour over vegetables. Chill before serving.

Recipe is 12pts total. Makes eight 1/2 cup servings (1.5pts each).

Note: This recipe was adapted from one that includes 4oz cubed pepper jack cheese, which is added just before serving. I didn't think I'd have enough points to add the cheese, but it adds a nice textural contrast if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment