Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Beans & Greens

I had some lovely swiss chard growing on my porch, and some beet greens in the fridge that needed using, so I decided to try this recipe from my friend's blog.
I skipped the blanching step, as the greens I used weren't as bitter & tough as kale or spigariello, and it turned out great, although I would have preferred a higher greens:beans ratio.
Due to Lauren's belief that the key to this dish is plenty of butter & salt (with which I wholeheartedly agree!), I kept the 3T butter called for by her recipe, but I halved the oil. The entire pan came out to only 22 points, although it was so delicious that I had to make myself stop after eating half of it!! Luckily, I had plenty of points to spare yesterday.
2-year-old S wasn't so keen on it though... he refused to even taste it, so had leftover salmon & roast veges from yesterday's dinner (oh well, more for me!).
Although the photo doesn't do it justice, the stems from the beet greens made the onion turn a beautiful pink color which just looked gorgeous in contrast with the white beans & dark greens.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad it turned out well. Stu doesn't know what he's missing. ;)

    ReplyDelete